Drug Crime Lawyer in Ithaca
Rigorous Defense Against Serious Charges in Tompkins County
If you have been arrested for a drug crime in Ithaca, you do not have to go through this time alone. The Law Office of Charles H. Kee is here to provide the knowledgeable counsel you need to successfully navigate your case. We are dedicated to providing zealous advocacy, no matter what charges you are facing or how challenging your situation might seem. As a former prosecutor with over 10 years of experience, Charles H. Kee knows how to develop an effective strategy to protect your rights and freedom.
Call (607) 800-5356 or contact us online to begin building your defense with the help of an experienced drug crime attorney in Ithaca.
New York Drug Crimes & Their Penalties
There are numerous types of drug crimes in New York, from possession of a controlled substance to trafficking illegal drugs. Each specific drug crime comes with a range of sentencing possibilities, depending on the type and amount of substance involved. A less serious crime of possessing marijuana under certain circumstances may only result in a fine as small as $100, while a major drug trafficker may be sentenced to life imprisonment.
Here are some of the major categories of drug crimes in New York, along with their range of possible sentences:
- Possessing controlled substances (NY Penal §§ 220.03 to 220.25) – ranging from a Class A misdemeanor with up to 1 year in prison and $1,000 in fines to a Class A-I felony with 8-20 years in prison and up to a $100,000 fine
- Possessing marijuana (NY Penal §§ 221.10 to 221.30) – ranging from a Class B misdemeanor with up to 3 months in prison and a $500 fine to a Class E felony with 1-1.5 years in prison and a fine of up to $5,000
- Selling controlled substances (NY Penal §§ 220.31 to 220.44) – ranging from a Class D felony with 1-2.5 years in prison and a $5,000 fine to a Class A-I felony with 8-20 years in prison and up to $100,000 in fines
- Selling near schools (NY Penal § 220.44) – a Class B felony with 2-9 years in prison and a fine of up to $30,000
- Selling marijuana (NY Penal §§ 221.35 to 221.55) – ranging from a Class B misdemeanor with up to 3 months in prison and a fine of $500 to a Class C felony with 1-5.5 years in prison and a $15,000 fine
- Using a child to commit controlled substance crimes (NY Penal § 220.28) – a Class E felony with 1-1.5 years in prison and up to $5,000 in fines
- Manufacturing methamphetamine (NY Penal §§ 220.73 to 220.75) – ranging from a Class D felony with 1-2.5 years in prison and a fine of up to $5,000 to a Class B felony with 1-9 years in prison and a fine of $30,000
- Operating as a major trafficker (NY Penal § 220.77) – a Class A-I felony with a minimum prison sentence of 15 years and a maximum of life, as well as up to $100,000 in fines
Alternative Sentences for Drug Crimes
It can be easy to become overwhelmed at the thought of all the potential penalties for the various drug crimes. However, in certain cases, those facing a Class B, C, D, and E felony that does not involve selling a substance to a child, may be able to obtain an alternative sentence of one year or less in prison. As described in NY Penal § 70.70, the court may take into consideration various factors, such as the nature and circumstances of the offense, as well as the defendant’s character and history, to determine if the normal penalties would be unduly harsh.
This means that even if the evidence points against you in your case, you may be able to get your sentencing significantly reduced. Having a knowledgeable lawyer on your side can be a great advantage in trying to demonstrate to the court why you should receive an alternative sentence.
Our Ithaca drug crime attorney is ready to provide the representation you need and deserve. Call The Law Office of Charles H. Kee at (607) 800-5356 to get started with a free consultation.
Unmatched Legal ServiceA Few Reasons Charles H. Kee Stands Apart
- Hundreds of Clients Helped with Unmatched Professionalism
- A Reputation of Winning Even the Most Serious Cases
- Trial-Tested Experience & Legal Insight
- Over a Decade of Legal Experience