Experienced Defense Attorney in Tompkins County
Whether you find yourself rushing to class at Cornell University, minutes late to a showing at Herbert F. Johnson Museum of Art, or just a little too excited to see the Cornell Botanic Gardens, you may also find yourself being pulled over and receiving a traffic violation. The Law Office of Charles H. Kee can help with that.
New York is known for being one of the most difficult states to drive in, especially on account of the extremely strict sets of traffic laws. In many cases, you may be completely unaware that you have apparently violated one or more traffic laws, which is why it is particularly important to have the guidance of an experienced lawyer. Our dedicated traffic violation attorney in Ithaca is ready to aggressively defend your rights so that you do not have to face the debilitating consequences which can swiftly rack up.
There are many forms of traffic violations in New York, a state where it is already difficult to drive on account of the extreme congestion and unclear signage.
Some of the most common offenses that people may be accused of committing in relation to a New York traffic law include:
- Cutting off another automobile
- Driving while your license has been suspended or revoked
- Speeding law violations
- Using a mobile device while driving
- Committing a traffic violation while out-of-state
- Being accused of a DUI/DWI
- Neglecting to pay for a parking meter on time
- Improper use of a turn signal
- Refusing to submit to a breath test
- Driving overly aggressively
- Neglecting to stop at a stop sign, or stopping only part of the way
- Parking in a handicapped zone without displaying a handicap sign
- Forgetting to yield at a yellow light
- Failing to yield at a pedestrian walk
- Commercial traffic offenses
- Making gestures considered to be obscene or aggressive
Consequences of Being Convicted of a Traffic Violation in New York
Some people may think that fines are the primary form of penalty for being convicted of a traffic violation, but there are actually several different consequences you might receive.
You may be liable to face one or multiple types of the following examples of traffic violations, including:
- Steep fines – The ranges of fines for a traffic violation can vary widely, even reaching up to $600.
- Additional surcharges – Along with the initial costs of the ticket itself, the state of New York is unique in that it imposes further surcharges, depending on whether the violation was committed in the middle of the city or in the suburbs, which can range between $88 or $93.
- Points added to your record – Every kind of traffic violation is allotted a certain number of points, which can also increase, depending on the nature of the violation. For example, speeding up to 10 mph over the limit can result in 3 points, while speeding over 41 mph results can result in 11 points.
- Fee for Driver Responsibility Assessment (DRA) – If you have received at least six points throughout a period of 18 months, you are required to pay a fee of $300 to the DMV, with another $75 per point after those initial six points.
Benefits of Hiring an Ithaca Traffic Lawyer
Did you know that paying your ticket is the same of pleading guilty to a crime? Rather than be subject to the potential penalties listed above, you could prove your innocence by hiring an experienced traffic violation attorney.
The following are several benefits of hiring an Ithaca traffic lawyer:
- Advise you on your rights
- Explain all your available legal options
- Handle all the paperwork on your behalf
- Appear in court on your behalf
- Challenge or suppress evidence against you
- Negotiate a lower sentence or have your charge dropped altogether
Being Proactive in Fighting Your Charge
It is important to remember that a traffic violation charge is not merely about paying an annoying fine. The accumulation of points that goes on your record could eventually result in your license being suspended or revoked, which could greatly hinder your ability to get to work, school, or other locations. Take your charge seriously by quickly reaching out to The Law Office of Charles H. Kee for dedicated Ithaca traffic lawyer support.
- Hundreds of Clients Helped with Unmatched Professionalism
- A Reputation of Winning Even the Most Serious Cases
- Trial-Tested Experience & Legal Insight
- Over a Decade of Legal Experience